What is steam.exe.old?
steam.exe.old is an executable exe file which belongs to the Steam Client Bootstrapper process which comes along with the Steam Client Bootstrapper Software developed by Valve software developer.
If the steam.exe.old process in Windows 10 is important, then you should be careful while deleting it. Sometimes steam.exe.old process might be using CPU or GPU too much. If it is malware or virus, it might be running in the background.
The .exe extension of the steam.exe.old file specifies that it is an executable file for the Windows Operating System like Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
Malware and viruses are also transmitted through exe files. So we must be sure before running any unknown executable file on our computers or laptops.
Now we will check if the steam.exe.old file is a virus or malware? Whether it should be deleted to keep your computer safe? Read more below.
Is steam.exe.old safe to run? Is it a virus or malware?
Let’s check the location of this exe file to determine whether this is a legit software or a virus. The location of this file and dangerous rating is mentioned below.
File Location / Rating : C:Program Files (x86)Steam
To check whether the exe file is legit you can start the Task Manager. Then click on the columns field and add Verified Signer than one of the columns.
Now look at the Verified Signer value for steam.exe.old process if it says “Unable to verify” then the file may be a virus.
|File Location||C:Program Files (x86)Steam|
|Software||Steam Client Bootstrapper|
Over All Ratings for steam.exe.old
If the developer of the software is legitimate, then it is not a virus or malware. If the developer is not listed or seems suspicious, you can remove it using the uninstall program.
Based on our analysis of whether this steam file is a virus or malware we have displayed our result below.
How to check if steam.exe.old is a security issue ?
We also recommend using Security task manager application to find which processes are unwanted in your windows computer and can be security issue. Here is how you can find whether steam.exe.old is a security threat using Security task manager application.
- Download Security task manager application and install it on your computer.
- Run it as administrator. It will now show all the applications that are running on your computer.
- Now it will show the Rating, file location , company and product name for each process.
- Now click on the Ratings column to sort based on ratings.
- You will now see which process has the worst rating easily so can decide steam.exe.old is given a bad rating or not easily.
- You will also find whether the steam.exe.old process is important or not with this feature.
How To Remove or Uninstall steam.exe.old
To remove steam.exe.old from your computer do the following steps one by one. This will uninstall steam.exe.old if it was part of the software installed on your computer.
- If the file is a part of a software program, then it will also have an uninstall program. Then you can run the Uninstaller located at directory like C:Program Files>Valve>Steam Client Bootstrapper >Steam Client Bootstrapper> steam.exe.old_uninstall.exe.
- Or the steam.exe.old was installed using the Windows Installer then to uninstall it Go to System Settings and open Add Or Remove Programs Option.
- Then Search for steam.exe.old or the software name Steam Client Bootstrapper in the search bar or try out the developer name Valve.
- Then click on it and select the Uninstall Program option to remove steam.exe.old file from your computer. Now the software Steam Client Bootstrapper program along with the file steam.exe.old will be removed from your computer.
steam.exe.old Frequently Asked Questions
How do i stop steam.exe.old process?
In order to stop the steam.exe.old process from running you either have to uninstall the program associated with the file or if it’s a virus or malware, remove it using a Malware and Virus removal tool.
Is steam.exe.old a Virus or Malware?
As per the information we have the steam.exe.old is not a Virus. But a good file might be infected with malware or virus to disguise itself.
Is steam.exe.old causing High Disk Usage?
You can find this by opening the Task Manager application (Right-click on Windows Taskbar and choose Task Manager) and click on the Disk option at the top to sort and find out the disk usage of steam.exe.old.
Is steam.exe.old causing High CPU Usage?
You can find this by opening the Task Manager application and find the steam process and check the CPU usage percentage.
Is steam.exe.old causing High Network Usage?
If the steam.exe.old has High data Usage You can find this by opening the Task Manager windows app and find the steam process and check the Network Usage percentage.
How to check GPU Usage of steam.exe.old?
To check steam.exe.old GPU usage. Open Task Manager window and look for the steam.exe.old process in the name column and check the GPU usage column.
I hope you were able to learn more about the steam.exe.old file and how to remove it. Also, share this article on social media if you found it helpful.
Let us know in the comments below if you face any other steam.exe.old related issues.
Gowtham V, the founder of howtodoninja.com is an experienced tech writer and a cybersecurity enthusiast with a passion for exploring the latest technological advancements. He has 10 years of experience in writing comprehensive how to guides, tutorials, and reviews on software, hardware, and internet services. With an interest in computer security, he strives to educate users by writing content on how to use technology, and how to also protect their smart devices and personal data from cyber threats. He currently uses a Windows computer, and a Macbook Pro, and tests hundreds of Android phones for writing his reviews and guides.