Last Updated on
Many people don’t know that you can actually cut video using VLC media player. VLC has many features that are unknown to many users like VLC media player can play online youtube videos also without downloading.
VLC Media Player also comes with some video editing features built into it. It may not be the most advanced video editing tool but it is sufficient for many normal users.
VLC media editing tool can be helpful to cut video or trim existing videos but this function is not out of the box so you have to enable a few things to make it work.
You can also cut parts of a video easily using the VLC player’s inbuilt options.
How To Cut or Trim Videos Using VLC player
1. Open VLC media player and go to Video Options and enable by selecting the Advanced Controls Menu Settings. You will see a tick mark like the below image when its enabled.
2. When the advanced control are available you will see extra recording buttons near your normal player buttons on your screen like below.
3. Open that video on the VLC player that you wanted to cut a portion of.
4. Scroll to the starting time of the video where you wanted to start the cut for your video. Here I am scrolling to 12:11 time.
5. Now when you are at the start of the video press on the red record button.
6. When you are at the endpoint where you want to end the video, press the red record button again to stop the cut process. Here my end time is 25:12.
7. It will be saved on the videos folder. Now you have successfully trimmed a video clip from a larger video just by using VLC inbuilt settings.
How to Cut videos in VLC easily using VLC hotkeys
You can also easily create short video clips from a video in VLC by using VLC Editing Shortcut hotkeys. Follow the below steps.
Step 1: When you are at the start of the video to be cut press the Shift + R button this will be the start of the trimmed video.
Step 2: When you are at the end of the video press the Shift + R button again. This will be the end of the trimmed short video.
VLC Trimmed Video Save folder :
Your trimmed video will be saved under the “My Videos” folder in Windows 10.
If you are using Windows 7 operating system it will be saved under the C:\Users\Username\Videos directory.
Frequently Asked Questions :
Can VLC cut video?
Yes, VLC player can be used to cut video or trim videos by using the advanced controls in VLC.
Is VLC a video editor ?
No, it’s a Video player but has some Video Editing tools built into it.
I hope you were able to cut a part of a video using the VLC player options by following our tutorials above. Let us know in the comments below if you have any issues with the VLC player. Do subscribe for more helpful tips.