Sometimes when you open Steam, it will get stuck on the message Allocating disk space on Windows 10 and will get stuck and there will be no progress.
Let’s learn how to fix this issue in this article.
The window with the message “Creating local game files. Allocating disk space for game” progress bar will get stuck like in the screenshot below.
If you’re struck on the Allocating disk space screen, while installing some game through the Steam Client, you can try the following solutions.
WINDOWS PRO TIP: If you are facing System related issues on Windows like registry errors or System files being deleted by virus or System crashes like us, we recommend downloading Restoro software which scans your Windows PC for any issues and fixes them within a few minutes.
Why this Steam stuck on allocating disk space error Occurs?
The error happens on your Windows computer when you are going to install a Steam game on your system. This maybe because of a couple of errors that include the following.
- Download of game or Cache errors.
- Your Firewall has blocked Steam from functioning properly.
- Download server not functioning or at full capacity.
- Overclocking of your computer.
How to Solve Allocating Disk Space Screen Stuck
You can solve this Steam Allocating disk space stuck error by using the following methods.
Method 1: Restart your system
As simple as it sounds, just restarting your PC can help solve the problem of allocating disk space while using Steam Client on Windows 10 and Windows 7.
Method 2: Run Steam client as Administrator
In this method, you must first kill the Steam process by going to the Task Manager. Then you must use admin privileges and then run the Steam client again.
Method 3: Empty the Steam Download cache
Sometimes, clearing the cache can solve the problem.
- You can Launch the Steam as Admin.
- Now click on Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Now Go to Downloads.
- Now, you must now use Clear Download Cache option.
- Press OK and wait to execute or confirm.
- Save and Exit.
Check whether the issue is resolved. If not, then continue with the next method.
Method 4: Switch To New Steam Download Server
Sometimes the server that you are using presently may be under maintenance, or maybe already full. Under such situations, changing your downloading server would help solve the problem of Steam client stuck on Allocating disk space screen on Windows 10.
1. Run Steam client as Admin.
2. You will find Steam on top left corner, click there.
3. Now go to Settings from drop down.
4. Go to Downloads and then Go to Download Region, and click the dropdown to choose some other download from server.
5. Finally, Exit and Re-launch the system.
Method 5: Refresh Steam installation files
When you decide to refresh Steam installation files, you must first make sure that there would be no interruption to the installation in between or until it is complete. This is because any interruption during the copy stage can again corrupt the files and you’ll have to download them once again. Once you are sure you won’t be interrupted, you must:
- Firstly, kill the Steam process from the Task Manager application on your computer.
- Now navigate to default Steam directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam
- Leave these two, steamapps folder and the Steam.exe executable file, and select everything else from the Steam folder. Press Delete.
- Now under admin mode, relaunch Steam and try reinstalling the game. It must work most likely.
Method 6: Stop Overclocking (if applicable)
In case you overclocked your PC, look for the software you used to do it. Now in the same software there would be options to reverse the process, follow those. Once complete, you must now restart your system and then try the installation.
Method 7: Temporarily disable Windows Defender Firewall
In this method you first disable the Windows defender Firewall, though temporarily. Now go to Task Manager as admin and kill the Steam client process. Now re-launch Steam client. Try game installation. If it still does not work, go to the next step. If it works, you can enable the Windows Defender Firewall later on.
Hope this helped you in fixing the Steam stuck on Allocating disk space error on your Windows 10 computer.
Don’t forget to share this article and comment below if you found it helpful.
He is the founder of howtodoninja.com and is an experienced tech writer and a cybersecurity enthusiast with a passion for exploring the latest technological advancements. He has 10 years of experience in writing comprehensive how-to guides, tutorials, and reviews on software, hardware, and internet services. With an interest in computer security, he strives to educate users by writing content on how to use technology, and how to also protect their smart devices and personal data from cyber threats. He currently uses a Windows computer, and a Macbook Pro, and tests hundreds of Android phones for writing his reviews and guides.