Let’s learn how you can access and play media files like audio and video using UPnP or DLNA feature in VLC Media Player in both macOS and Windows systems.
What is UPnP?
Universal Plug and Play which is also known as UPnP is a networking feature that allows computers or smartphones on the same network to discover each other and is widely used for streaming media from another device on the same network.
What is DLNA?
DLNA ( Digital Living Network Alliance ) is a certification standard which allows devices to share digital media files to other devices similar to UPnP.
How to access Media from UPnP or DLNA in VLC Player
UPnP & DLNA On VLC for Mac:
1. Open the VLC player app on your Mac.
3. It will show a list of folders from the UPnP or DLNA server sharing. In order for this to work, you should have a computer or smartphone connected to your same network or wifi and sharing media files using the UPnP or DLNA protocols.
4. Now you can select the folder and play the audio or video directly from another computer using the VLC player using the UPnP or DLNA servers.
UPnP & DLNA On VLC on PC:
1. Open the VLC media player and click on the View menu and go to playlists.
2. Under Local Network click on the Universal Plug’n’Play option.
3. Here if you are using a PNP server on your network you can see a list of media files to play directly using VLC.
Hope you were able to play media files like video or audio from another computer on your network using Pnp or DLNA protocols.
Also leave a comment if this was helpful or if you got any questions.