Last Updated on
VLC is most of the most used video players both on desktop and also on mobile as it supports all the major video formats. Do you want to watch a movie and also do something else while using your Windows PC or an iMac or a mac book using something like the Picture in Picture function in MacOS or Chrome? Yes it can be done.
Enable VLC PIP Windows , MacOS :
Follow the below Steps to Enable Picture in Picture Mode in VLC player like in the screenshot below . This works on Windows 7, 8, Windows 10 and MacOS devices.
Step 1: Open the VLC Media Player
Step 2: Then go to Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> check “Always on top”
Step 3: Then to make the video player look slim Go to Tools >> Preferences >> Video and un-tick the Window decorations option
Step 4: To hide the top controls on VLC Press the Ctrl+H key when using the VLC player . If you want to show them again just press the Ctrl+H buttons again.
Step 5: Now to make the video stick to the side of the window drag the vlc window and drag it to the right corner or left corner until you see the resize window shrink to fit the corner of the screen. When its done leave the app to make it dock to the corner of the screen.
How to use VLC’s Picture-in-Picture Mode on Android to Watch Videos While Multitasking
Just follow the below steps to use Picture in Picture ( PIP) in your android smartphone when watching a video on the VLC player mobile application.
Step 1: Go to settings option inside the VLC android app and choose the Play Videos in background option.
Step 2: Once done go and play a video on the VLC mobile app and then choose the dots icons and choose minimize player or PIP option symbol.
Step 3: This will make the video play in a pip window while you browse the web or use any other apps so you can multi task easily.
It defers based on the application you are using and the operating system. For VLC you just how to choose the float on top option in the tools > View > Float on Top
In Windows to enable Picture in Picture easily follow the below steps
1. Download the VLC media player app
2. Open the video you would like to watch in Picture in Picture
3. When the video is playing go to Tools Option > Preferences > Video > Always on Top
4. Now you have to resize the VLC video Window and fit it any place you want and it will stay above the rest of the applications.
1. In your android phone. Download and install the VLC app from the Google play store.
2. Then go the video you want to watch and play it in the VLC app.
3. Now when the video is playing in your phone full screen tap the Dots Icon and choose the Picture in Picture option or Minimize option
4. Now when you go to your Android Home screen the video will still be playing in a PIP window.
Hope you were able to enable PIP ( Picture In Picture ) floating video on your windows computer or android smartphone. Do let us know if you have any questions regarding PIP in the comments below.